Monday, August 24, 2009

Anne Bradstreet

Most Important Poem: The Anne Bradstreet poem I found most impressive was "To My Dear and Loving Husband". I liked this poem because of the use of paradoxes to convey the narrator's tone. Here's what I mean, she, the narrator, is deeply in love with her husband, and I mean real love, not some daytime soap opera crap. She says how her love for him is "an unquenchable thirst" that only his love can provide. She says how her feelings for him are as thought they are both the same person. It's interesting how she uses contradicting statements that I understand and know what she means. I also think that the poem is...interesting, because she says how she loves him so much, but she doesn't once mention whether he loves her or not. I think that gives this poem a little more depth as to what type of love she's describing.


Diary Entry (Point of view from Burning House): "I...I cannot believe this. How could He let this happen? I would consider myself a good person. I believe I've always lived by His word. Hoe could He do this? How could God burn my house down? Why would he do this? Is it his will that I suffer? Is it his will that I be Left abandoned with nowhere else to go? What will I do? Where will I go? How will I take care of my family?"........."All I can do now is pick my head up and believe that He has a plan for me, and by God that's what I'll do! So what if my house is gone? So what if I no longer own anything? I'm still alive, therefore it's God's will that I be here."

This political cartoon represents women’s struggle to gain political recognition in America. The cartoon is a picture of Hillary Clinton saying "My husband isn't Secretary of State, I am! Don't ask me what HE thinks" followed by her daughter, Chelsea, saying "whatever mom". This represents how often women aren't seen as political leaders, but more as non-respected spokespersons. Anne Bradstreet endured a similar ordeal as an author. Because of the times she lived in she wasn't well received as a poet until years after her death, just as Hillary Clinton isn't always seen as a politician.

1 comment:

  1. CJ - Good points in this cartoon - however, can you compare it to Anne Bradstreet's feelings evoked in her poetry - that is where we see her subjectivity. See me to discuss.

    ReplyDelete